Saturday, May 30, 2009

Garden Update and The Birds!

 I love watching my garden grow.  
Now that the weather is warmer, it seems like the squash and pumpkins grow a foot a day.
 I actually got a few 
strawberries, and they were sweet, sweet, sweet.  Here are some pictures of its development. 
The most amazing event going on right now are all the birds nesting
in our front yard. We have two House Finch nests (both in one hanging flower pot), a California Towhee nest and a Mockingbird nest in the hedge, 
as well
 as the usual Acorn
 Woodpecker nest in one of the front trees.
 Several cats in the neighborhood have discovered these nests and slink around the bushes trying to get at them. The Mockingbird nest is actually within reach of these hungry felines. It is also situated in such a way that I can look down on it, so I took a picture of the little fledglings. They are three of them sitting together. The other nest with the little blue eggs is one of the House Finch nests. We can always tell whenever a cat is around because the squawking level hits a fever pitch! I feel like I’m on bird patrol at the house making sure all the babies are safe.

No comments: