Friday, May 1, 2009

My Wee Veggie Garden

Given that times are contracted, I decided to plant a “victory garden.” Why I haven’t done this before now is something I have asked myself. I guess because I am so drawn to flowers that I haven’t grown veggies since I was a kid. I asked my husband Sam to build a raised box for my plantings. I feel so fortunate to have him as a partner, and one of the reasons is he can build and fix anything. And I mean anything. “Honey, there’s something wrong with the kitchen faucet,” and suddenly he’s there with wrenches and other mysterious tools, and it’s fixed. At first we were going to build a 4 x 12 box, but decided to scale it back a bit and ended up with a 4 x 6. I thought I might be getting in over my head with a “farm” to take care of since I have the rest of the yard to tend. Here are the photos of us building the box. I know, you’re on the edge of your seat. We had a good time making it together. We filled the box with a load of topsoil and I amended it with organic chicken poo and two wheelbarrows full of my very own stinky compost filled with worms. The trouble with my compost pile is I use it up as quickly as I create it and it takes time to replenish the kitchen scraps, lawn clippings, and leaves for the next round. I wanted to plant right away but didn’t because it was too hot and the moon was not in the right sign to plant. I planted my veggies on the April 24th New Moon in Taurus. New moons are great times to start something, and being in an earth sign as well I thought would work for my veggie friends. Before I planted, I created a ceremony for the garden and used a special liquid essence called Earth Balancing Trilogy. This essence is supposed to bring healing and harmony to the earth, as well as supporting a co-creative relationship with nature. My friend Morgana, who is a reincarnated faerie if I’ve ever seen one, sent the drops to me as a gift. I invoked my guides and angels as well as all the earth spirits I connect to and asked for a blessing. Here is the picture of my planted garden. I planted two large heirloom tomatoes, two types of cherry tomatoes, three types of bell peppers, a “Diva’ cucumber and strawberries in the big box. I seeded Rainbow Swiss Chard, and tucked purple and sweet basil in and around the box along with Sweet Alyssum. Yes, I had to get in a few flowers, but according to companion planting they attract beneficial insects. In the barrels are kombacha squash, sugar pie pumpkins, zucchini and yellow squash. Watch to see how it grows.

1 comment:

Matthew | Loving Awareness said...

What a lovely personal and spiritual recall of growing a garden.