Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Crazy Coffee Farm

I have left the east side of the Big Island and am now staying on the Kona coast in a magical, funky and rustic coffee farm. My good friend LaRissa is caretaking the farm for six months while the owners are away.
First off, let me define the word “farm”, because it has a different meaning in Hawaii. It is not organized in any way. This one-acre plot of land has meandering paths with mass plantings of bromeliads, exotic flowering vines, taro plants, papaya and banana trees, ferns, all surrounded by a tropical forest of bamboo. The coffee plants are interspersed between all of thatI .
It is a wonder anything grows here since the ground is almost solid lava. The coffee plants are spindly, but covered with lots and lots of beans.
Despite the rustic outside appearance of the buildings, inside they are cozy and thoughtfully designed with sustainability in mind. The crystals and spiritual artifacts make it a welcoming environment for me. There is an outdoor kitchen, which is really fun to hang in. Three sides are open and it has a tarp roof over it. It¹s sounds weird, but it¹s really refreshing to be outdoors while cooking and eating especially since it is so warm here. I also like the fact that several Hawaiian cardinals, a beautiful red bird, fly in and look for crumbs to eat. That may not appeal to some, but I love birds and often feed them when I have come here on vacation, much to the frowning look of my husband. Check out the picture of the kitchen.
In the kitchen there is a fish bowl with greenish water where the pet goldfish lives. I watched as a green lizard climbed up the side of the bowl and came eye-to-eye with the goldfish. They stared at each other for several minutes. It made me laugh to see two very different critters look at each other with a quizzical look. I tried to capture their meeting in a photo.
Speaking of critters, did I mention there are lots and lots of mongooses? They give me the creeps when they scamper about the farm. I do, however, love the little green lizards, which some folks call geckos but I am told are actually something else. There apparently is a native brown gecko that lives in Hawaii, and the green and hot orange one is an import.
The import is crowding out the natives. That seems to be a familiar theme worldwide, don¹t you think? Anyway, these little green guys are all over the place, and I do mean “all over the place.”l I sat at an outdoor coffee shop and had two at my feet and one on the table, all snacking on some tidbit of food that was dropped there. They look kind of silly because they are always licking their lips.
LaRissa and I are going to be working with some landowners who want their land cleared of any negative energy as well as create a blessing and intention so they can get the bank loan they need for construction. With the state of the home loan market, I think it takes a blessing, and all the gods and goddesses available as well.
I am definitely getting my “kitty fix” here on the farm. A little black-and-white kitty named Tyrone follows me around. He is definitely chill and mellow, a typical Hawaiian kitty. That¹s all for now.
With much love and aloha, Holly

No comments: